Mobile Shopping is HERE, gone and BOOMing! : Alibaba Group Generated US$9.3 Billion in Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV) on 11.11 Shopping Festival
Quoted directly from Marketwatch.com but this is impressive. Shows how mobile shopping is here, gone and boooming. Is the desktop and desktop online sales dying? Yes. Probably if you believe in the principle that commerce will be everywhere, anytime and place. Ubiquitous in other words.
2014 Highlights from Marketwatch.com
- Total GMV settled through Alipay was US$9.3 billion (RMB 57.1 billion). In 2013, total GMV settled through Alipay on our China retail marketplaces was US$5.8 billion (RMB 36.2 billion).
- Total GMV settled through Alipay in 2014 surpassed 2013 total GMV settled through Alipay on our China retail marketplaces by US$3.5 billion.
- Total mobile GMV settled through Alipay was approximately US$4.0 billion (RMB 24.3 billion), or 42.6% of total GMV.
- Total GMV settled through Alipay exceeded desktop online sales from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday of 2013 (US$5.3 billion) by US$4.1 billion, or 77%.
- At peak, 2.85 million transactions were processed per minute by Alipay.
- Buyers from 217 countries and regions participated in this year’s event.
- 278.5 million logistics orders were generated during the 2014 event.